Thursday, August 27, 2009

+ take big: Part II

Edmonton
The moment I stepped on Alberta ground wasn't that exciting. Hee.. Coz I am being trasnport from a rather more modernized city to the 6th largest city in Canada.

Alberta is a rich province as it does not impose any provincial tax (PST). Why? Because it is rich with natural resources like oil and gas. That's why! Tsk tsk, I have paid PST in both Ontario and Quebec. Tsk tsk, should have bought stuffs here in Alberta. Haha… too bad ;p

Edmonton is the so called capital in Alberta but Calgary is bigger than it. I heard that Edmonton is the only city which emphasis on both languages: English & Chinese, even in their education system. They also have French Immersion program. If yaoyao were to stay on, he might get sent for French immersion program. Ha

And It's all about shopping for me esp on the last few days. We went the so-called common for branded stuffs. I've got a good deal from Tommy Hilfiger. Ha. Checking out stuffs in the superstores are nice also. I like to visit supermarket when I visit a country. Kekeke… the ribs, chicken and beef are cheaper there. And those dairy products. I had lots berry variants there. Kekeke… cherry is so sweet :) Heard BC (British Columbia, another province) produces sweeter cherries than US. Ha. AAA Alberta beef is nice too ;p

the two little ones ;p


Jasper National Park

263km from Edmonton. First we visit Maligne Canyon, the Maligne Lake is also a prominent must-visit attraction. Ha. Nice to have eaten the home cooked beehoon near the Canyon. Oya, notice the mountain actually resembles the side view of a human face?

Athabasca Falls. Lots visitors there. Actually I found it so-so only. Not a big fall though. Ha.

Columbia Icefield trip is another unique experience. Basically it requires a big-wheel bus, operated by Brewster, to take us to the Glacier.

The Glacier we visited is called Athabasca Icefield. Both Kys are so excited, we put our hands into the icy cold glacier and we drank it. Ha. The Glacier has been retreated in recent years, maybe it is due to Global Warming uh.

Anyway, I still prefer Fox Glacier in NZ. I get to Hike and lie down on the glacier. Ha. Nah, be contented k!
See, Constance is trying to straggle Ernest

Along the drive, we saw Elk. It is one kind of Caribou, its common name is called Mule Deer. Most cars stopped to take their pictures. Hee… just 10m away from our car ;p If you still cant imagine how it looks like, errr.. Something like Santa's reindeer.

Lots Golden ground squirrel and we saw white Horn sheep!

Finally, I was allowed to drive to Sylvan Lake. Hee.. Cool sia. Gigantic mountain on your left and beautiful Abraham Lake on my right. I prefer this kind of scenery, as compared to both sides are mountains, loaded with pine trees. Keke.. Awesome sia.

Sylvan Lake
It appears to me more like a sea! What a huge lake! Ha. We are privileged to have visit Allen and Kathy's wooden cabin by the lake. Cool sia. Basically it was built 8 years ago and guess what, only Pentecostal Church members are allowed to own the property around the vicinity. Ha. Both Al and Kathy like to host people. Kathy is the secretary of the National Palliative Care Board of Canada, don't play play. Ha. She dictates the way the system works!

This cabin can actually host around 20 people. Hee… the attic has 3 double beds and the basements has few single beds. Keke...

Nice and sunny day. We had a 30 min boat ride with Al as the captain. He was so kind that he gave me the permission to steer the boat! Kekeke… even niece and nephew get to be drive the boat! The boat actually costs around 25K.

KY2 in safety vest. cute yaoyao.

As it's the annual Bentley Rodeo Festival, we visited this little town in the late morning. Ha. Guess what, one chicken wing cost 39cents and beer at CAD3 only. Cheap. You can have it in the Saloon. Dun get me wrong, Saloon is not the place where you find barbers but a hang out place for Cow-boys to have drinks. No kids allowed.
There's a vintage car show. Eh, lots old antique car like Ford, Pontiac are being showcase. Most are a lot more older than I am. Ha. Farmer market showcase some of the harvest of the residents. The mini doughnuts are super nice, so soft. Yumz. Saskatoon is new to me, member of the berry family.

It's my first ever time to watch a Rodeo show.

What is Rodeo? Basically it's a cowboy show. Hehe… they dressed like a cowboy and do what cowboy does! Most guys come with cowboy hat. Al was all set to dress like that too. Ha. Interesting items like tie-down roping, team roping, bull riding (the mad bull ll try to make you fall from its back!), wild bull milking ( a bunch of cowmen trying to catch the bull and squeeze milks from them), children riding etc. 3 hours long. Too long but good experience. Al participated in the Wild bull Milking last year. He said he's gonna to try again in 2010.

We had Grilled Salmon for Dinner, or rather supper! They dun call it dinner but supper. Hee.. Culture difference.

Sunday morning is a time whereby we worship our God at Sunnyside Tabernacle church. The topic was on 'Pursuit'. It reminds me to know Jesus more and to make Jesus known to others! One of the song was quite meaningful. It says: The more you seek Him, the more you find Him; The more you find Him, the more you love him!

"When the sun is good, you need to go!" That's what Al said. He is so excited about the sea sports we're gonna to have on a Sunday afternoon!

It's out of my expectations to have tried sea sports when I am on vacation. Ha. I had wakeboarding and tubing. Steph was my another kaki, she is still a college student, having summer holiday job in Edmonton. She frequent Al's place to enjoy the sea (or rather lake) activities.

Al was very patient. He guided me on how to stand up. Argh, I am just too lousy. Haa… the last time I wakeboard was like 9 years ago. I really cannot make it la. After a few more attempts, I have decided to throw in the towel. Somehow I struggle to stand and I simply couldn't tilt my board le and let the water go under! Ha. Al was a bit disappointed though but I am too embarrassed to make another 4 people to watch me falling into the water again and again. Nice try!

I like tubing. Steph and I were the sacrifices. Basically we each sat on a tube, hold on to the handle. Then Al will drive the boat in whichever speed he likes! Ha. Steph warned Al not to be mean but I think in order to let me have more fun, he was actually a bit crazy. He drove rounds, turn here turn there. The waves he created was so bumpy and guess what, my neck almost broke. And the interesting thing is you just feel like shitting or farting. Whatever you called it.

In short, it was soooo FUN! And the water is not salty at all coz it's Sylvan lake, not sea. Ha. I always try to avoid SUN but this FUN hour actually landed me under the big hot sun for 4 hours. Ha.

No photo on the water sports since steph havent sent me yet ;p

Drumheller
'We are looking for a dinosaur, something you never ever see before" - Michael Mitchell


You can see Dinosaur statues in this Dinosaur town. It is called Canada Badlands. Basically the landscape is a bit different from Rockies and others as it was a habitat for Dinosaurs million years ago. Kekeke.. Looking at the land, yes, you're unable to grow any plants. That's why it is called Badlands. Ha.

Royal Tyrell Museum is a must visit place. I usually do not have very good feel about Museum but this museum is very well established. The word 'Royal' was given by Queen Elizabeth. Ha. The showcase of the Dinosaur fossils was great! Very organized.

We joined the guided tour "seven wonders of the badland". Basically the guide showed us the specialty about the land like… why are there different layers of soil (white - due to sand soil, brown - due to mud soil, black - coal soil from vegetation), hoodoo, stump etc :)

I used to doubt about the existence of Dinosaurs. But now I am truly convinced that indeed there were Dinosaurs million years ago! Kekeke…

Banff National Park
It's another 3.5 hrs drive from Drumheller to Banff via Calgary, another prominent city in Alberta. The traffic is heavier. Ha. Had nice bison burger with yam stick. Eh, wild smell in the bison meat and it's harder than normal beef. Ha. As it's kinda late after the dinner, we just took a stroll at Banff downtown. As compared to Jasper downtown, you get to see more shops and ya, a lot of tourists from all over the place. They are here just becoz of the Banff scenic Lake Louise and wild life. The grizzling bears, caribou, coyote and squirrel. ;)

We stayed just beside the Bow River. Hee… it was a nice walk. Saw cheery wildflowers everywhere, the fall is somewhat awesome and at the end of the trek, there's rafting for hire which takes you to Bow Valley! Cool ;)

It was raining all night long till the next day. That was the time you wish grandpa SUN is there for you. I guess most tourists would be super duper disappointed with the cloudy and drizzling day. We did not travel far, just got onto the car and took the recommended scenic drive. A bird eye view from the Mount Quay. Keke… Lake Minnewanka was quiet as hardly see any tourist taking the cruise. Dropped by Johnson Lake and two-jack to see look. Here is a photo with my little princess in her nice raincoat! We joined a guided tour at Cave & Basin. Basically there were 3 railway workers who discovered Banff National Park. And most importantly it's the hot Spring! Altogether there're 9 hot Spring in Banff!

Lake Louise

We thank God for the nice sunny morning so we have decided to go to Lake Louise! Hurry! Indeed, it is a beautiful place. The Fairmont hotel faces the mountain, you'll see snow on the mountain and peaceful lake is just in front of you! Some are kayaking while some trek.

Lake Louise Gondola enables us to have a panorama view of Banff landscape. You see ten peaks, lake Louise, Mt Sulphur etc. Hee… the interpretation centre wasn't that great though.

We took the cascade chair up the hill and I was so scared that nephew will fall off from it. Ha. So in the end he took the normal gondola while niece and I continue to enjoy the open air ride!

Golden Ground Squirrel

黄鼠狼

I spent 1.5hrs walking in and out of the shop to hunt for nice and representable postcards. They fail me la. All the same. Ha. In the end I just took a few which I think it has better showcase Banff. Keke… ambassador of Canada, slowly becoming uncle Bill!

No comments: